Saturday, October 04, 2008

Chop Shop



I watched this movie last night and am watching it again as I am typing. My apologies; I called it a movie and I meant to call it a film, there is a difference. I always felt that if I were going to make a film; that it would feel like this one.

Chop Shop is a simple story about Alejandro, an orphaned 10 year old in Queens, NY who lives above an
Auto Mobile Chop Shop where he works. Alejandro’s story is typical of New York City’s street kid culture, a culture of selling candy on the train, hustling bootleg movies,and snatching pocket books. Alejandro is by all accounts a grown ass man. He negotiated a place to stay above his bosses Chop Shop for he and his homeless 16 year old sister Isamar who joins the story about 25 minutes in. Ale (Alejandro) finds out a dirty secret about his sister that he decides to accept but it strengthens his goal to buy a food vending truck for he and his sister so that they can start there own business.

Chop Shop is brilliant in it’s realism; the camera never gets in the way of the story and the acting is amazing. I highly recommend this film.

No comments: