Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wild 4 Days!!



My wild 4 days started with the M.I.A concert at Maccarren Pool in Williamsburg. 7500, freaking hipsters paid to see her. I've never seen so many Dr. Seuss characters in my life. I have to say though that M.I.A's branding is bananas. You can say whatever you want about whether she has credible talent or not, she may not be able to really sing or rap but her marketing talent is fucking amazing!! In fact her brand is way bigger than her music; I would even say that her music is the soundtrack to her brand. 7500 kids at $35 is $262,500 earned at the gate of which I'm sure her booking agent and management negotiated at least 35% of which is $91,875. She probably actually got more like 50%. But whatever she negotiated she had a good night. After her booking agent and management got paid, she walked home with $64,312 or so before overhead. Her production including crew, dancers, stage design and DJ may have cost her 20 grand. I would say that she walked away with a good check for a night's work. I have to say that I really enjoyed it was a big party and MIA and gang brought an awesome energy that never stopped. I went to the show with some friends of mine who were opening for her on tour; an off the hook new band out of Toronto called LET's GO TO WAR. Their manager Phoebe is a friend of mine and after the show we went to a Dante Fried Chicken party. For those of you in NYC who haven't been to a Dante Fried Chicken party; its a must, I don't want to diverse but for $7 you get a plate of gourmet eats cooked the man himself, a drink ticket, and 4 of the hottest bands that he seems to find before anyone else. Anyway Google Dante Friend Chicken and join the email list; the location of the party changes every month to and announced the day of so you have to get the announcement. Anyway, i didn't get home until 4 that night and haven't gotten home before then until those lunatics left my apartment last night to head home for the NxNE festival in Toronto. The good news is that I made some great connections with iTunes and Kobalt why they were here, and they are going to co-produce a couple of tracks of one of the artists that I work with. Good times!! I haven't really edited this at all so I'm sure there are plenty of grammatical errors but anyhow. There is is! Oh yeah, I forgot; I bought the new album from The Kills "Midnight Boom" on iTunes, it's really dope!!

No comments: