Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ravi Coltrane


I decided to go over my boy Michael Weintrob's studio in Williamsburg today and kick it with him before he left town. I figured I could get out of my home office and get some work done in another environment. When I get there he's all excited; he says "Ravi Coltrane" is coming by to pick up some photos. Apparently he took some photos of him and his family during an Alice Coltrane tribute recently.

Ravi finally arrives and checks out Michael's images and loves them. Dude has a lovely demeanor. As time passes somehow we all get into this deep conversation about the loss of parents. His father John died when he was a baby and his mother Alice died about a year an a half ago. He admitted that he hasn't been able to compose any new music since his mother died. I told him about the loss of my mother 10 years ago and how I was crying on the floor of the hospital before she went into a comma. He was able to articulate the connection between a mother and son in a way that I haven't heard before, it was beautiful. I told him that if he could translate that same emotional concept musically, he may have a break through. He said he had not thought of that, and thanked me.

No comments: