Friday, September 19, 2008

Rotterdam






I have to admit something; I really did not love Amsterdam. I mean, i didn't hate it; but it was kind of hollow to me. I really can't explain it, I just don't think the energy of the place agreed with me. Don't get me wrong I loved all of the little novelty attractions like the "coffee shops" and the red light district. I don't smoke nor have sex with prostitutes (poor me, huh) but it was cool to see others with the ability to freely partake. It could have also been the fact that I only had fleeting moments of meals and scrambling tourist excursions in the city; like visiting the sex museum. Although I have a few friends that live there; my schedule never permitted me hooking up with any of them. Rotterdam however is another story.

Two years ago I met this woman from Rotterdam who's mother was dutch and father was from Ghana. It was the 4th of July and I was at a roof deck party at the building in crown heights were 3 of my Morehouse brothers, Tahir, Malik, and Scott live. That party was one of the absolutely most drunkard moments of my life. We were drinking Hatian rum, lots of it and what I forgot was that I had taken a Benedryl earlier. I was fractured!! Anyway, I was laying on the roof top and in walks in these three woman, 2 from holland and one was Tahir's cousin. I struck up a conversation with one who oddly reminded me of my mother. I offered her a drink and she said blankly that she didn't drink. I was intriqued so I asked her why; she said "because I don't need to drink to be myself." I looked at her drunk as hell and said, "do you want to get married?" She laughed and said no, and I immediately passed out. I woke up 3 hours later in Tahir's apartment and everyone had left the party, including my new friend from Holland.

I don't know why but this woman intriqued me, I am always attracted to blunt....sort of unaffected woman, and that was her (she shall remain nameless). I asked my boy Tahir to call his cousin and find out if I could contact her. Tahir never got in touch with his cousin and I was SOL....until. About 2 weeks later there was a Little Brother concert in Ft. Green park, Tahir and I were watching the band and I happend to look behind me and BOOM, there she was; and her friend Bibi from Holland, NICE!! Tahir approached them first and then called me over. we ended hanging out with them that day and then that night at some Fader event. The whole night I was trying to strike up conversation with her and she was chestnut tight...I mean the cold mug and everything; no love at all. I almost gave up. Bibi gave me her local number and I got up the nerve a couple of days later to call her and check on her friend. I asked her to come and see a band that I was managing at the time named Earl Greyhound, she came out. We saw the band, then we walked and talked for about 3 hours. She ended up staying at my house that night, but I slept on the couch...but the next day right before she left, I kissed her and she kissed me back...everything else that happened is no one's business.

She and I kept in touch for a long time until the distance drew us a bit apart. 2 years later and I have this business trip to Amsterdam...of course she is mad busy for the first half of my trip and I didn't see her. It was a bit uncomfortable, because we had talked about seeing eachother but I didn't want to presume anything. Finally, she called as I was about to book another hotel in Amsterdam (I was staying in Hilversun) and offered me to stay at her place in Rotterdam for the last 3 days of my trip. Anyway, without going into details, I like Rotterdam and I really like her.

1 comment:

queenbeebee said...

too bad you didn't like Amsterdam. After being away for a long time I think I kinda understand what you mean by hollow but please give it another chance! Next time you and Frimmy should come over for the ' real' experience, like a rooftop BBQ for instance:) take care! bibi