Friday, May 30, 2008

Medicine For Melancholy

With all of this Obama hype; and that fact that he has been pretty much categorized at this point as African American; it has made me contemplate blackness and what that means in terms of class, education, culture, country. What is the pervasive African American cultural Aesthetic, in the minds of most Americans? This discussion is an old one; but it is really rediculous how far away from Flavor of the Month my world and the world of my peers seems to be. Is it Reverend Wright? Is it Morehouse and Spelman? It's complex as we know but I have been yearning for something to represent me; a mass media voice for my friends and our conversations. Our aesthetic and our concerns. We seem to be caught in the middle of Jeremiah Wright and maybe even Barack Obama. We are cultural aware and the concept of defining ourselves is a constant part of the conversation. We are Anti-American and proudly American, we are extra-black yet proud that we enjoy non "urban" shit and have white friends. It's funny! Anyway, I came across film and even though I've only seen this trailer; I am praying that it is amazing and that it finds distribution so my friends and I and all of the black folks like us can have something commercial that represents us.

2 comments:

jamyla / oyin mama said...

hey - that looks really good!

let's hear it for the postblack blackfolks posse.

oBBCo said...

WOW!!!
what up shawn p.
please keep us informed on that joint.