Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Swimming



Every morning I try my best to do a 20 minute meditation. It's really hard for me as my mind is really active first thing in the morning. I work on focusing myself by listening to my breathing or focusing on the beat of my heart. Sometimes I cannot control my distraction but I still spend the time with my eyes closed giving that time to myself and God to be still.

This morning I am heading to the pool at St. John's Recreational Center. It's located in Crown Heights at 1251 Prospect Place between Troy and Schenectady. That place is a steal @ 75 dollars a year, it's one of those NYC bargains that make this city affordable, like the Halal buffet spots on Fulton between Franklin and Bedford. I love swimming there because I get to see my swimming buddies; a group of old black men that I affectionately call my uncles. There is Uncle Junior, Uncle Pat, Uncle Clarence, Uncle Richard, Uncle Percy and Uncle George. We spend half of the time there talking shit about politics, sex, and just clowning. It's good to know that you never grow out of clowning with your boys. Some of my uncles there are in their 80's and they are the biggest clowns. I love it!!


No comments: